Jisc Futures has invested in Safenet, a two-year ‘service-in-development’ to improve assured continuity of access for UK HE institutions to the electronic journal articles for which they have paid.
- facilitate continuing access to a critical mass of e-journal content in compliance with publishers’ post-cancellation access (PCA) clauses
- verify continuing access rights through use of an entitlement registry that records the subscription history for participating HEIs.
- build foundations of national archive infrastructure to support the basis of a UK owned digital library collection
- identify content priorities through consultation with the UK research library community.
- be one of a cohesive suite of Jisc services designed to meet the journal management needs of UK HEIs.
- interoperate, as appropriate to optimise efficiency, with related tools and services within the Jisc arena such as KB+, SUNCAT and JUSP.
Within 2 years, the SafeNet project will deliver a Jisc shared service for the UK research community, which will provide permanent and trustworthy post-cancellation access to electronic journal articles.